By the end of the Advanced Negotiation Skills course you will be able to:
- Prepare effectively for complex, challenging negotiating situations
- Cope more effectively with difficult people
- Adapt your style depending on the situation
- Maintain progress through the phases of the negotiation, even under pressure
- Develop your skills at handling conflict
- Recognize when and how to make concessions
- Work more productively as part of a negotiating team.
1- Course overview and objectives
- A forthcoming negotiation
- The three processes you need to get right
2- Who am I negotiating with?
- Types of negotiators and how to work with each type
- Authority levels and decision-making, background culture
3- My style, my skills and my energy
- The skills and attitudes of the effective negotiator
- My own areas of strength, and areas I need to work on
- Building an effective negotiating team
4- Developing a strategy
- Research and preparation
- Aims, goals, plans and tactics
5- The phases of a negotiation
- Before entering the arena
- The handshake – getting the opening right
- Using summaries, timeouts and signposts
6- Predictable tactics used by tough negotiators
- Developing counter-measures
- Ten tips which will always help
7- Dealing with difficult people
- What makes some people so difficult to deal with?
- Typical difficult behaviors and how to handle yourself
- Gaining respect
8- Managing conflict
- Productive conflict, dealing with aggression
9- About concessions
- Are you in the zone of potential agreement?
- Trading not conceding – ‘If you . . . then I . . .’
- What is your BATNA? What is theirs?
10- Bringing it to a conclusion
- Building common ground
- Summarizing carefully
- Walk away is better than a bad deal’
Who Should Attend
People with Some Experience of Negotiation Who Wish to Further develop Their Skills.